Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Are Green Jobs > Greenovation?

I'm reading the NY Times this weekend and I stumble across an article from Annie Milkern over at Greenwire. (which a great green aggregate site for daily reading) The article refers to the growing number of lobbyists helping green startups chase federal funds. As somebody who was considering the process, I'm officially out before I'm in. The papers are 400+ pages and basically require hiring a lobbyist. Each company must demonstrate an ability to "meet policy objectives related to climate change and energy independence such as lowering greenhouse gas emissions, creating jobs, driving economic development, and spurring investment in new energy technologies.

As a follow-up to last week's article this sector is going to boom just not yet. This is where all next Microsoftsand Googles will come from. My worry is that even though $50 billion is going to green companies and tons have already gone that the economy will be used as a clutch to create jobs rather than give the funds to the best ideas. Entrepreneurship, my college major, has always fascinated me. I've always wondered when I see a success story how people got there. Whether it's a the timing, great product/idea, or great management I've never heard a new "it" company say we wanted to "hire the most people possible" or "open up new research center immediately" when we started which is why the green grant money system is a bit worrisome.

Best of luck to all the startups applying for these funds, I can see myself joining your team soon in the right situation. I hope none of these companies lose sight of their cash flows by increasing the overhead in order to appease their VC that being the government. The green revolution is going to be awhile. Thanks to Barack for putting it on the fast track but the "job rule" put it on a bit slower track.