Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The World Is aTwitter

So I figured I'd have to weigh in on Twitter. For the longest time I was against the whole thing. I kept saying all it was is an AIM away message for all to see. They have over 50 million users worldwide so I wanted to see what the fuss is about. I joined to much chagrin and suffice to say I get it but it's not for me. It's cool to follow some celebs and writers. I like the idea and the concept, but my daily actions are not important enough to update constantly nor so do I care what Ryan Seacrest or Ashley Tisdale are doing right now (well Ashley's plans can include me if she wants) This was coming at some point we live in a 24-7 newscycle filled with Blackberries. I think Twitter was onto something but I think they are headed for some troubles down the road.

Read this...
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/16/
and scroll half way down the page to the Twitter post

First off, as I reminder never make your password to your server password if you are a big company. Secondly, I do think Microsoft-Google-Yahoo-Facebook will duplicate the technology or attempt a buyout real soon. They can't compete with the big boys. They have constant outages and much like Facebook haven't monetized their product yet. Somebody will buy them and figure out how to make some dough off it or if Twitter gets smart they'll call the SEC tomorrow to IPO their little company in order to compete.

I'm going to go and update my Twitter. No really I'm not, but if you care to follow me it's davidesimmons for your 5 tweets a week. Twitter-like apps are here to stay, I just won't be an active participant.

PS http://twitterholic.com/ for all the top Tweeters