Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Handicapping the Pennant Race

With a mere two months left in the season, the MLB playoff race showing whos' got a shot and who doesn't. I'll run through the divisions with my picks for the rest of the year and postseason. Here's what we'd have if the playoffs started today

AL East: Yankees (My pick: Red Sox)
They are making the playoffs, just a question of whether or not the WC or division winners. I think that the Sox bullpen depth will help them overcome the Yankees in the long run in the division but these two teams will meet for the LCS. Poor Rays who don't have enough pitching this year, but more is on the way. The best 3 of the 5 best teams in baseball play in this division.

AL Central: Tigers (My pick: White Sox)
This is the toughest race to pick but if Peavy is throwing anywhere near what he's capable of the last 6 weeks then I see CC&Brewers-esque charge. The Twins, Tigers, and White Sox are even on paper. Here's to betting the gutsiest move of the deadline pays off.

AL West: Angels (My pick: Angels)
The Angels are 4.5 up and charged through July without Vlad and Torii Hunter. The Rangers aren't there yet but will catch them next year when they get full years out of Smoak, Feliz, and Holland.

Division Round
Red Sox vs. White Sox (Red Sox win)
Yankees vs. Angels (Yankees win)
Note: Bud Selig will be ecstatic if this happens because of it'll be the top TV markets in the AL

LCS
Red Sox over Yankees in 7

A
NL East: Phillies (My pick: Phillies)
They are up 5 now over the Marlins and Braves trailing close behind. They added Cliff Lee to pair with Cole Hamels in the playoffs. They are going to be very good for awhile.

NL Central: Cardinals & Cubs are basically tied (My pick: Cardinals)
The Cardinals went all in and I think it'll pay off. Matt Holliday is headed for the playoffs and a big payday.

NL West: Dodgers (My pick: Dodgers)
They have too much depth to falter in the regular season, the postseason is a different story.

Wild Card: Colorado & SF tied (My pick: Giants)
At the end of the year, the Giants will squeeze in by throwing Lincecum-Cain-Sanchez-Zito into a 4 man rotation that'll lead them to the promise land. Sorry Cubs fans, I think you are out.

Divisional Round
Dodgers vs. Cardinals (Pujols vs. Manny)
Giants vs. Phillies (Damn, that pitching is nuts Lincecum-Cain vs. Hamels-Lee in a short series)

Picking the NL is a complete crapshoot moreso then I can ever remember. I'm not picking because it's not going to matter. I could easily see any of the 4 teams losing the World Series to the Red Sox and as much it pains me to say the Yankes would too as well.

Keep an eye on the Cuban named Yadel Marti having a difference down the stretch, he's that good. Plus I'd expect Garland and Doug Davis to move as well.